Sunday, March 20, 2011

Book List

I don’t know about you, but we haven’t accomplished much this weekend.  I’ll blame it on the coughing and sneezing, but I’ll also give some credit to the Harry Potter marathon on TV.  I’ve watched them all! (and loved every minute of it.)

I haven’t really felt up to cooking lately (plus I don’t want to share any germies with friends), so I don’t have any new recipes.  But I’ve done plenty of reading since finishing my first term graduate classes a few weeks ago!  In honor of getting to read whatever I want, here’s a list of some of my favorite books (recent and all-time).

1. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee): If you haven’t read this iconic Southern novel, then make it your priority.  Lee gives insight into life during Jim Crow in Alabama through the eyes of a precocious little girl—Scout—and creates a character that inspires generations of young people to change the world like Atticus Finch.  Read it now.  You can borrow my copy!

2. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver): My mom gave me this book the summer after I graduated high school, and I have read it at least 5 times since then.  The story of a missionary family in the Africa and the spiritual turmoil they cause (and the political turmoil in which they live) is fascinating and haunting.

3. One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel García Márquez): Whether reading this book in the original Spanish or translated into English, Márquez’s masterpiece is beautifully written and captivating.  It is the story of a wealthy family is a desolate land, full of tragedy and insight into humanity.

4. Blue Like Jazz (Donald Miller): Miller speaks to my heart in this book.  It has remained my favorite of all his works, and his personable writing style makes it seems like a coffee date with a best friend. Miller came to speak at my university several times while I was a student, and I am grateful for every opportunity I’ve had to hear him speak.

5. Harry Potter 1-7 (J.K. Rowling): I received the first Harry Potter book for my 11th birthday (from Amber?), and I haven’t turned back since.  I love everything about these books, and my hardback copies are among my prized possessions.  If you’ve never read them, please give them one more chance.  Please. I beg you….please?

There are so many more books I could include…maybe another time?

Hope you're enjoying the spring weather! We are!

Love,
Scout and Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment